Green_Earth
Council on Trade in Goods - Committee on Safeguards - Immediate notification under article 12.5 of the Agreement on Safeguards to the Council for Trade in Goods of any form of compensation referred to in article 8.1 of the Agreement on Safeguards - Canada and Costa Rica
日期:2021/09/13
作者:Canada and Costa Rica
文件編號:G/L/1400, G/SG/265
附件下載:GL1400.pdf
因為版本問題,開啟附件時可能會出現錯誤訊息,如「檔案已損毀」的訊息,請您忽略此訊息,即可正常開啟

IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION UNDER ARTICLE 12.5 OF THE AGREEMENT
ON SAFEGUARDS TO THE COUNCIL FOR TRADE IN GOODS OF ANY
FORM OF COMPENSATION REFERRED TO IN ARTICLE 8.1
OF THE AGREEMENT ON SAFEGUARDS

Canada and Costa Rica

The following communication, dated and received on 8 September 2021, is being circulated at the request of the delegations of Canada and Costa Rica.

 

_______________

 

 

Pursuant to paragraph 5 of Article 12 of the Agreement on Safeguards, and in accordance with the agreed format for notifications (G/SG/1/Rev.3 ‒ G/SG/N/6/Rev.3 ‒ G/SG/89/Rev.2), Canada and Costa Rica hereby provide the immediate notification to the Council for Trade in Goods of the compensation referred to in paragraph 1 of Article 8.

1.    Specify the measure and the product subject to the measure regarding which there was an agreement on an adequate means of trade compensation under Article 8.1, and provide reference to the WTO document that notified the safeguard measure.

Documents _G/SG/N/8/CRI/2_G/SG/N/10/CRI/2_G/SG/N/11/CRI/2 and _G/SG/N/8/CRI/2/Rev.1_G/SG/N/10/CRI/2/Rev.1_G/SG/N/11/CRI/2/Rev.1 contain notifications from Costa Rica concerning the application of a definitive safeguard measure consisting of an additional 27.68% on the existing tariff level of 45% of the import customs duty, bringing the total to 72.68% on the CIF value of all imports of sugar in solid form, granulated, known as white sugar, for household and industrial consumption, including plantation, specialty and refined sugars, of whatever origin, imported into Costa Rica under tariff subheading 1701.99.00.00.

2.    Specify which Member(s) agreed to the trade compensation under Article 8.1.

Canada and Costa Rica.

3.    Describe the trade compensation that was agreed by each of the Members involved.

On 7 June 2021, Canada and Costa Rica reached an understanding to exempt a certain annual volume of imports of Canadian refined sugar from the application of the aforementioned safeguard measure. According to this understanding, for the years 2021, 2022, and 2023, Costa Rica will not apply its safeguard measure to imports within the TRQ provided for in paragraphs 2 and 3 of Note 1 to Chapter 17 in the Tariff Schedule of Costa Rica of Annex III.3.1 of the Regional Trade Agreement in force between both countries.

4.    Provide the date from which the compensation will apply for the Members involved.

The compensation described above is in force since 16 July 2021.

 

__________