Note by the Secretariat
The English version of the document, circulated on 19 March 2021 with the above-symbol, should contain the following corrections:
- On page 8, in the row entitled "Amendments and Protocols", under Article XVI – Appendix III and Amendments thereto, the following revision should be made:
à, In Resolution
Conf. 4.25 (Rev.
CoP25 CoP18) on Reservations, the [CoP] "recommends
- On page 11, in the row entitled "Article IX Management and Scientific Authorities", the following revision should be made:
à Resolution Conf.
10.13 10.3 contains recommendations on the designation and role of
CITES Scientific Authorities
- On page 21, in the row entitled "Resolution Conf. 17.9 Trade in hunting trophies of species listed in Appendix I", the following revision should be made:
b) in reviewing trade in hunting
trophies, … as contained in Resolution Conf. 12.3 (Rev.
on Permits and Certificates, …:
- In the table on pages 23-24, the following rows should read:
REGULATION OF TRADE
18.122 – 18.124
Guidance for making legal acquisition findings
18.125 – 18.128
Electronic systems and information technologies
SPECIES SPECIFIC MATTERS
18.238 – 18.243
- On page 30, "Regarding compliance, control and cooperation" should read "Regarding compliance, and control mechanisms".
- On pages 30-31, the following revisions should be made to the text:
Regarding application of Article XIII,
5. Recommends that:
when, in application of Article XIII of the Convention and Resolution
Conf. 14.3 (Rev. CoP18)
on CITES compliance
procedures, the Secretariat requests information on a potential
compliance matter, Parties reply within one month or, if this is impossible, acknowledge
provide within the month an approximate date and indicate a
date, even an approximate one, by which they consider it will be possible
to provide the information requested;
(c) if major compliance matters concerning particular Parties are brought to the attention of the Secretariat, the Secretariat, in consultation with the Chair of the Standing Committee and as expeditiously as possible, work with the Parties concerned to try to solve the matter and offer advice or technical assistance as required;
Resolution Conf. 11.17 (Rev. CoP18) – National reports
13. Decides that:
(a) failure to submit an annual report … in
Resolution Conf. 11.3 (Rev. CoP16); and Resolution
Conf. 11.3 (Rev. CoP18)7 on Compliance and enforcement; and
(b) the Secretariat may approve a valid
request … for the submission of
annual or biennial national reports
7 Corrected by the Secretariat following the 18th meeting of the Conference of the Parties.
- On page 34, the following revisions should be made to the text:
Resolution Conf. 9.5 (Rev. CoP16) – Trade with States not party to the Convention
"... Recommends that:
(a) permits and certificates issued by States not party to the Convention not be accepted by Parties unless they contain:
v) in the case of re-export, the name of the country of origin and:
A. if the country of origin was a Party, the number of the export permit and the date of issue;
B. if the country of origin was not a Party, certification to the effect that the competent authority of the country of origin has issued an export document that substantially meets the requirements of Article VI of the Convention; or
C. if the case arises, justification of the omission of the aforementioned information; and
vi) in the case of
export or re-export of live specimens, a statement that the permit or
certificate is valid only if the transport conditions comply with the IATA Live Animals Regulations or, if it
covers plants, with the IATA Perishable
certification to the effect that the
competent authority of the country of origin has issued an export document that
substantially meets the requirements of Article VI of the Convention; and vi) in the case of
export or re-export of live specimens, certification to the effect that they
will be transported in a manner that will minimize the risk of injury, damage
to health or cruel treatment;
Secretariat to seek, every two years, information on, and to include in
the CITES Directory, details of …";
- On page 53, in the row entitled "Objective", the following words should be deleted:
à The three main IPPC Strategic objectives … are:
(b) Protect the environment from
the impacts of plant pests.
- On page 54, paragraphs 4-5 should be replaced with the following text:
5. The contracting parties shall make every effort to reach agreement on all matters by consensus. If all efforts to reach consensus have been exhausted and no agreement is reached, the decision shall, as a last resort, be taken by a two-thirds majority of the contracting parties present and voting.
6. A member organization of FAO that is a contracting party and the member states of that member organization that are contracting parties shall exercise their membership rights and fulfil their membership obligations in accordance, mutatis mutandis, with the Constitution and General Rules of FAO ...".
- In the table on page 92, the row should be entitled "Article 4 Relationship with other international agreements and Instruments".
154 Parties to the Stockholm Convention are also WTO Members (see Annex).
- Footnote 23, on page 175, should read: "The first meeting of the Conference of the Parties adopted decision MC 1/5 on Guidance to the GEF available at …"