NOTE BY THE SECRETARIAT
WTO ACCESS PROCEDURE FOLLOWING THE INSTALLATION OF THE SECURITY PERIMETER
1. The Secretariat of the World Trade Organization (WTO) would like to inform Members and Observers of the arrangements for access to the WTO premises with the progressive installation of the new security perimeter.
2. The perimeter has had to meet the security standards for international organizations while at the same time paying particular attention to the landscaping of the surrounding areas. The perimeter serves several purposes:
· To control pedestrian and vehicle access
· To guide pedestrian and vehicle traffic flows
· To provide access for accredited persons using automated turnstiles
· To establish a legal and physical barrier that cannot be crossed inadvertently
3. The basic works and the installation of the security equipment will have been completed by mid-May. The finishing touches (stone cladding, lawn planting, surfacing, cleaning up) will continue into June 2014.
4. Once the perimeter has been completed, all delegates that have been registered through the ARA (online registration system) by their Delegation Coordinator will be able to enter the WTO premises on foot via the turnstiles, using an electronic access badge.
5. There will be four access points with a turnstile and badge reader, two of which have been adapted for persons with reduced mobility: one at the main entrance and one on the lake side, near the restaurant (points 1 and 3, Annex 1). Two turnstiles are already in operation (points 2 and 4).